Integrating Trigonometric Functions: How to Remember and Use Identities?

• Thread starter athrun200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation includes a request for help with a problem in part b of an assignment, specifically with integrating a function. The person responding suggests using a trig identity and provides a link for additional useful identities. They also mention that the specific identities to remember may depend on the class and task at hand. The conversation then moves on to discussing other problems.
athrun200

Homework Statement

I have a problem in part b
attachment.php?attachmentid=37249&stc=1&d=1310910823.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How to integral the function?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37248&stc=1&d=1310910823.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 548
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Homework Statement
I would like to ask for 18 and20

attachment.php?attachmentid=37252&stc=1&d=1310910922.jpg

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Again how to integral the function?

attachment.php?attachmentid=37250&stc=1&d=1310910823.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=37251&stc=1&d=1310910922.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 545
10a looks fine.

For 10b, take advantage of the following trig identity:

cosh2 x = [1 + cosh (2x)]/2

gb7nash said:
10a looks fine.

For 10b, take advantage of the following trig identity:

cosh2 x = [1 + cosh (2x)]/2

Oh no, I know this identity, but there are too many identity and formula so I can't remember it before you tell me. How can I make sure that I remember all of them? Or where can I check these useful identity?

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/HyperbolicIdentities.html

As far as knowing which ones to remember, it would depend on what you're trying to do and what class you're in. For a lot of integral problems, the identities I usually see are sin2 + cos2 = 1 (and any other pythagorean identities), and half/double angle formulas.

Last edited by a moderator:
gb7nash said:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/HyperbolicIdentities.html

As far as knowing which ones to remember, it would depend on what you're trying to do and what class you're in. For a lot of integral problems, the identities I usually see are sin2 + cos2 = 1 (and any other pythagorean identities), and half/double angle formulas.

Thanks so much.
Shall we move on #2?
I just have some problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the process for solving difficult integrals?

The process for solving difficult integrals involves breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler parts, using substitution or integration techniques, and applying basic algebraic manipulations. It may also involve using special integration techniques such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution.

What are some common techniques used to solve difficult integrals?

Some common techniques for solving difficult integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and using tables of integrals. It is important to select the appropriate technique based on the form of the integral.

How do I know which technique to use for a difficult integral?

The best way to determine which technique to use for a difficult integral is to first simplify the integral as much as possible by using basic algebraic manipulations. Then, look for patterns and similarities to known integrals and choose the appropriate technique based on these patterns.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving difficult integrals?

Common mistakes when solving difficult integrals include forgetting to substitute for variables, applying the wrong integration technique, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully check each step and double check the final answer for accuracy.

Can technology be used to solve difficult integrals?

Yes, technology can be used to solve difficult integrals. Many graphing calculators and computer software have built-in integration capabilities that can solve a wide range of integrals. However, it is still important to understand the process and techniques for solving integrals by hand, as technology may not always be available.